BÀI TẬP TIẾNG ANH 10
UNIT 10: ECOTOURISM
READING + VOCABULARY LESSON 3: GO GREEN
1. Look at the tourist map of Costa Rica, a country in Central America. Work with a partner. Discuss what tourists can do or see in Costa Rica.
Tourists can swim in the sea, visit marine national parks, see the volcanoes, watch the monkeys in national parks, visit the beautiful beaches...
1. purpose /ˈpɜːpəs/ mục đích
2. destruction /dɪˈstrʌkʃn/(n) sự phá hủy
3. preservation /ˌprezəˈveɪʃn/(n) sự bảo tồn, bảo vệ
4. discharge /dɪsˈtʃɑːdʒ/(v) thải ra, xả ra
5. fauna /ˈfɔːnə/(n) động vật
6. flora /ˈflɔːrə/(n) thực vật
7. adapt /əˈdæpt/(v) thích nghi
8. minimize /ˈmɪnɪmaɪz/ làm giảm
9. unavoidable /ˌʌnəˈvɔɪdəbl/ không thể tránh khỏi
10. beneficial /ˌbenɪˈfɪʃl/ có lợi
2. Read two opinions about ecotourism. Choose the best title for them.
Marco, an environmentalist from Costa Rica:
People travel a lot more nowadays. Mass tourism has contributed to the destruction of the environment. More and more hotels are built while forests and beaches are destroyed. A lot of waste from hotels and vehicles is also discharged into the water and air. I think ecotourism can help to solve this problem because it is sustainable and done for the purpose of enjoying nature. Although relatively new, ecotourism is growing rapidly. The money from ecotourism goes back to nature. How does this happen? Local governments use the money for the preservation of their national parks, and the different species of fauna and flora found there. Tour guides and travel brochures educate tourists about the protection of the environment. Tourists enjoy the beauty of wildlife without harming it. They stay with local families instead of hotels and get to know their culture and lifestyle.
Pablo, a farmer from Costa Rica: Costa Rica is one of the world’s best ecotourism destinations. We have beautiful beaches, thick rain forests, exciting volcanoes, and exotic wildlife. The local government and tour guides tell us that ecotourism is good for us, but the fact is, I don’t really know what it is. But I do know that when tourists come here, there are more jobs for us, and I can earn more. However, there are bad things as well. We have to change our way of life. To entertain tourists, we have to change our usual foods to suit their tastes or adapt dances and traditions to suit their needs.
a. Sustainable Ecotourism and Jobs
b. Pros and Conss of Ecotourism
c. Ecotourism - A Solution to Environmental Problems
b. Pros and Conss of Ecotourism (Lợi và bất lợi của du lịch sinh thái)
3. Match these words with their meanings.
1. discharge (v)
2. fauna (n)
3. flora (n)
4. exotic (a)
5. adapt (v)
A. all the plants of a particular area
B. exciting and unusual
C. all the animals living in an area
D. change in order to be suitable for the new situations
1 - e discharge = release (Đổ ra = thả, phóng thích)
2 - c fauna = all the animals living int he area (quần thể động vật = tất cả động vật sống trong một khu vực)
3 - a flaura = all the plants of a partivular place (quần thể thực vật = tất cả cây của một khu vực đặc biệt)
4 - b exotic = exciting and unusual (đẹp kì lạ = thú vị và khác thường)
5 - d adpat = change in order to be suitable for the new situations (thích nghi = thay đổi để phù hợp cho những tình huống mới)
4. With a partner, make a list of the positive and negative effects of ecotourism according to the two speakers.
Positive effects: More money for local government to preserve nature; tourists’ awareness of how to protect the environement; more jobs and higher income for local people.
Negative effects: changing local people’s way of life.
5. Who may say these things? Tick (✓) the appropriate boxes.
1. Ecotourism can be beneficial to local people.
2. Ecotourism can solve the problem of pollution.
3. Ecotourism can change local people's way of life.
4. To build hotels, people destroy forests.
5. Tourists learn how to protect the environment.
6. Ecotourism is something I don't understand very well.
7. I understand ecotourism and its benefits very well.
6. Do you agree with Marco that ecotourism can truly solve the problem of pollution? Think about what happens to the environment when there are more visitors to a destination.
To some extent, the answer is yes. The money from ecotourism may be used to preserve nature. However, the local people have to use up their resources (such as energy sources, food and water) to provide good services for tourists. More tourists mean more vehicles, more water and food consumption, and more waste. Even though the discharge of waste and consumption of natural resources by tourists are minimised, air, water and noise pollution are unavoidable.